Saturday, February 12, 2011

The BEST Valentine Gift ever!!

Dad has been such a happy camper lately and in the best moods.  I can't help but think that it is the caffeine from the cokes that we bring him.  Brant started this tradition of bringing Dad a McDonald's sausage biscuit and a coke on the mornings when he comes.  Dad always seemed to perk up and talk a lot more.  Since then, Mom and I take him a coke each time we go to see him if Brant isn't here.

Usually after about 3 or 4 sips, he will say, "WOW", or "Hello there!" and his eyes light up.  I really think that Brant found the trick for Dad.

Today, we took him his coke.  Rick got to Dad before I did because I was visiting another patient.  Dad heard me talking but did not see me.  Rick asked him if he recognized that voice.  Dad said, "It's Kellie."  (I can't remember the last time that he has called my name.) We got him up to walk and he did pretty good.  Apparently, Dad and Mom had a lot of elelctrical energy between them because when Mom touched Dad's back, the loudest static shock sounded!  Dad's face was priceless and we all laughed!

At lunch, we sat down with him to eat.  I told him to say the blessing.  We have done this numerous times and he never responded.  Today, he bowed his head, folded his hands and said, "Lord, thank  you for the food and this family and we will see you again. AAAAMMMMEEENNN!"  We were in shock.   Three actual, complete sentences that made sense!!!  It was a great day and one that we will cherish forever.  So thankful for the good days like this and so greatful for Spanish Oaks for taking such excellent care of Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment